"DeAndre needs to get on the field," defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said. "He proved that he's one of our better players.
"I've wanted to get him in the game the last couple weeks, but the situations were kind of difficult to get him in."
Levy has been in the middle for the most part lately, but he has trained at both spots and played on the outside at Wisconsin. "That's his home," Cunningham said. "But the good thing is, he can play any one of the spots.
"He's real smart, a real student of the game, and he's a heavy-hitter."
Levy has shown promise when he has had the chance to play. But he has been all over the field, playing on the outside and in the middle, and could be ripe for errors.
Defensive end is still an issue, because Cliff Avril might not play for the second straight week with a hamstring injury. Jason Hunter made an impact against Minnesota, however. The left guard position also is still unsettled with Daniel Loper and Manny Ramirez fighting for the starting job.
- DE Cliff Avril did not practice Wednesday because of a hamstring injury, after sitting out last week and not playing Sunday against Minnesota. It is unclear if he will play this Sunday against Washington, but he is expected to return by Oct. 4 at Chicago.
- LB Ernie Sims did not practice Wednesday because of a shoulder injury. Coach Jim Schwartz continued to call it significant, but declined to comment further. He didn't rule out surgery.
- QB Drew Stanton practiced Wednesday for the first time since knee surgery. He did more than planned because he felt good. The test will be whether the knee swells.
- QB Brock Berlin was released from the practice squad.
- DT Matthias Askew was signed to the practice squad.